Friday, March 14, 2008

McCain faces uphill battle in ambitious attempt to out-awkward Bush

As politicians, an unfortunate aspect of our careers is that every once in a while we must sully our pristine selves by consorting with the unwashed masses. As gross as this is, your ability to seem genuine is critical. Sincerity, it is said, is everything. Once you can fake that, you've got it made.

What no one seems to have told Resident Bush however, is that if you can't fake it, it's usually better not to try. It can really lay a turd on your cornflakes when it backfires on you. Bush, as usual, is incomparable at the art of the awkward photo op.

Whether it's holding hands with the bi-curious:

or shaking babies,

or even hugging puppet master tyrants,

it's gotta be hard to out-awkward someone who pardoned a turkey in exchange for doing what turkeys do best, gobble:

Yet when John McCain tried to suckle from Bush's teat many said "Now HERE is a guy that just might have a shot of stealing the proverbial (& literal) dunce cap from Bush's head". Still, I wasn't impressed.

I bet Bush was simply wearing a really musky cologne and McCain was just trying to place the scent. I put it out of my mind until a reader sent me this shot taken only moments later:

Now THAT'S what I call going for the gusto!

Still, when you've been in office for almost 8 years, it really is a simple feat to pull a trump card out of the ol' photo vault:

Take that McCain! When you actually french a world leader, come back and see me. Still, it got me thinking about what kinda heat a white boy like that was packin' down there. I didn't have to wonder long though. McCain apparently spoke with Condi who confirmed it:

The Presidential appendage is definitely no Weapon of Mass Destruction.